Monday, April 21, 2008

"Pop!" goes the little one

In the movies, you never see a fetus kick. Since most of my child preparation has been based on what I've seen on the big screen, I was completely caught off guard several weeks ago when I looked down at Jennifer's stomach and saw it move.

Up until that point, I would get excited about feeling a kick, only to have Jennifer let me down by saying it was just hunger rumblings (and often that would lead to talk about another nutty "craving"). These days, when the little one kicks, there's no doubt he is kicking. In fact, it's somewhat alarming. When you see Jennifer's stomach move like that, you almost expect our kid to burst out.

That, of course, leads to the theory that the little one is actually an alien from one of those horror movies (see picture), and it's only a matter of time before he pops out and devours Jennifer and me. It's not the most comforting thought, especially when you consider the mess that would make of our nice new apartment. And what do we do with all the onesies then? They won't look as adorable on a blood-thirsty creature from outer space. So for that reason, I'm just going to bet he's just a strong kicker, and not an alien. But you can never be sure.

In the meantime, now that I can "see" the little one, I've been "playing" with him by tapping Jennifer's stomach. He often taps back. I have even shouted out numbers with each of my taps, perhaps getting the little one started on learning how to count (I will probably continue doing this counting thing until it annoys Jennifer - my goal is to reach 500 before that happens). Some days we even think we can determine a little hand or one of those giant feet pushing through. Yes, it's all very cute.

However, Jennifer also says she thinks she's been feeling him scratching away, as if he's trying to claw his way out. I'm a little apprehensive about that development, since it seems to gives credence to our "alien" theory. Well... I guess all I can say is, if that theory does win out, please don't send us any more onesies. Thanks.

No comments: