Friday, February 4, 2011

My Two Sons

The suspense is over: Kyle's going to have a brother!  Here's the latest picture of the little one:


As you can see, he has a very masculine nose.   

Jennifer and I are thrilled that we're having a boy.  We would have been thrilled with a girl, too.  Once we hear the little one's healthy, we're thrilled with any other news about him, unless it's something like, "he looks like a Jets fan."  I know Jennifer will be the lone woman of our home, but that doesn't seem to bother her.  I think she's fallen in love with the idea of having two boys ever since re-watching A Christmas Story in December.

I'm not too sure how thrilled Kyle is just yet.  On Wednesday, after we brought him home from backup daycare, he kept talking about having a sister.  Last night, he threw up.  I'm not sure if his stomach's weakness is all related to the news (or the backup daycare), but I can't help but think it's not a good sign.  Kyle apparently wants either no sibling, or a sister.  Despite what he thinks now, I'm sure Kyle will enjoy having a younger brother.  He already enjoys playing mind games with me; just imagine what he can do with someone younger than he is.  As someone with experience, I can tell you it's a lot of fun.  I don't think Kyle's Uncle Ed has ever recovered.  There's another benefit to having a younger brother over a sister: chances are a brother won't force him to sit through "Abby's Flying Fairy School" on Sesame Street.  Dodged that bullet!

Here's another snapshot from Wednesday's ultrasound:


I like this one because the technician actually labeled what we were looking at.  Throughout the exam Wednesday, I was looking at big gray blobs and listening to the technician rattle off what we were seeing: the esophagus, kidneys, nose hairs.  I'd just nod and act like I saw them, too, even though I still saw only gray blobs.  Half the time I think these technicians are making things up.  Who would question them anyway?  Certainly not expectant parents.  At least I have trained my eyes to see some of the bigger parts, like the head.  These are not always recognizable to people looking at an ultrasound picture for the first time, and I often have to identify them when I show off the pictures.  The above image does that for me, so that's why I thought I'd share it with you.  Kudos to the technician for identifying those parts... and one other important one. 

Two sons.  I think it will be fun.

1 comment:

Craig said...

CONGRATULATIONS! very happy for all of you. (Liam says: Liam likes trains and so does Owen his brother!)